|Fort Stevens, WWII|
|Fort Stevens, today|
|Remnants of Fort Stevens|
On the beach at Fort Stevens is also what remains of the Peter Iredale. The Peter Iredale was a four-masted steel bark built in Maryport, England, in 1890 and owned by British shipping firm Iredale & Porter. On September 26, 1906, the Iredale left Salina Cruz, Mexico, bound for Portland, where it was to pick up a cargo of wheat for the United Kingdom. Despite encountering heavy fog, they managed to safely reach the mouth of the Columbia River. Unfortunately strong winds and currents made the vessel run aground and the ship was abandoned without any injuries.
|Remnants of the Peter Iredale on the beach|